Aug 2, 2012

We are trippin'!

Saving money will take a back seat for maybe 2 months because this week was about buying airfares and accommodations.

J will be going with a work buddy to Reykjavik, Iceland for a music festival. Much as I'd like to join them, I can't because my passport is only valid for another 5 months and it will be cold in November and Iceland is not a place where I want to be that time of the year.

Secondly, I will be taking my parents to NYC in September. They don't feel comfortable going to a large, crazy city like NYC without me, despite living in a bigger city than NYC. It's the lack of familiarity I guess, but that's traveling. It's kind of odd when I think about it, and at the same time understandable.

Wooden Shoe Tulip Farm, Woodburn, Oregon

With those 2 big trips, it doesn't make sense for me to go to Iceland even if my passport wasn't near expiration. J and I are still considering a trip just by ourselves. The last time we did that was before our kid came. No specific plans yet, but we're hoping for a cheaper option with plenty of fun activities that aren't expensive, if not free.

Dome at the Portland Center for the Performing Arts, Portland

I'm having a bit of difficulty accepting that J is keen to go on his trip without me. It will be his first time in Iceland. Part of me has this expectation that we will explore new places together, but I know that that's not a fair expectation to make. I wanted to experience NYC alone, I told him that, and he supported it all the way. But I didn't go because I was too worried about its impact to our finances knowing that there is a high chance of going there with my folks anyway. J had lived in NYC and so I felt justified in a way.

It's one of those things that I wish I didn't feel.


No comments:

Post a Comment