Apr 25, 2009

The emergency fund is for me

After just a day of fixing my broken tooth, it broke again. I don't know what could've led to that but I was definitely following the dentist's advice not to eat any hard food, like apple or carrot. I'm going to call tomorrow as soon as they open at 8:30am. J thinks that I should just show up first thing in the morning to strongly prove my case. I'm still unsure of that because I just don't want to be around people a lot obviously.

I was planning to go on dental holiday in July but we've been searching for good deals on flights the moment my tooth broke again. With airfare and dental implant combined, they still would be less than what I would pay for here. The plus is that I see my family with my child, the negative is traveling with an infant all by myself. That's sooo tiring! I can easily travel and not to talk to anybody if I were alone, but with an active toddler it's not really easy. He tends to get attention because he's cute. :)

That's not all that worries me. With this sudden need to restore my smile, our underfloor insulation will be delayed until probably the end of winter. The plan is to save all that money back to put us in a semi-comfortable financial situation. I told J that I'm sad that my dental need is going to deplete our savings. There will be hardly any left when it's all done. It's going to be an uphill battle to save money once again.

My mom had asked me if I had enough saved for this trip and I said I did but that this is not planned. It's an emergency! All the people who know about my situation are sympathetic. Teeth are a must, especially the front ones! I'm glad that we have enough to cover this emergency but to be back to Step 1: Build an emergency fund is not something I look forward to doing all over again.

What saddens me is that after being so vigilant about spending and saving, here I am, the source of emergency requiring the emergency fund to be used. It just never occurred to me that I would be the reason we'd spend it. :( Not only do I feel ugly, I also feel bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment